Translate AMICOR contents if you like

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Mind-Body

The Mind–Body Problem, Scientific Regress and "Woo"

The science of consciousness, far from converging on a sensible paradigm, is going backward
During a recent talk at “The Science of Consciousness” conference in Tucson, Arizona, John Horgan argued that science, far from progressing toward a sensible solution to the mind-body problem, is becoming more metaphysically flakey, or “woo.” The poster displayed on the screen celebrates the 2014 conference. Photo: David Chalmers.The deepest of all scientific mysteries, I once thought, is why there’s something rather than nothing. Now I think mind is the deepest mystery, because without mind, there might as well be nothing.I recently posted a four-part report on “The Science of Consciousness,” a conference in Tucson, Arizona, where hundreds of scientists and philosophers pondered the mind-body problem. As I mentioned in one of my dispatches, I gave a talk at the conference. Since I described it only sketchily, I’m presenting my major points here. First, my title and abstract:++++++++++++++++++++++++++Further Reading:


No comments: